Saturday 16 March 2013

I saw something written recently that pissed me off…

I saw something written recently that pissed me off…
It was concerning weight, which is no surprise because most people are seeming to become obsessed with their weight more and more. It was something on the lines of (Don’t quote me on it, this is what I’m taking from my head) ” I hate people who are always bragging they are body positive, they always seem to be fat and overweight, no your unhealthy stop making an excuse for it and lose weight” 
You know what, I doesn’t surprise me that people are saying this because they must be very closed minded people. It all started from measuring your BMI, and if you ask me it is beyond bullshit. How could BMI tell you that you are normal/overweight/obese etc…When it does not take into consideration muscle, fitness, strength, strong bones. So if the comment was made by that person who had BMI probably in their mind was wrong. Comments like that can lead to people to have eating disorders, like they have a disease and they are not good enough because they do not match the “ideal” weight on the BMI Calculator. 
For Example, I’m around 5 foot 6/7, I don’t weigh myself, because I don’t think it’s important. I judge myself on how I feel when I look in the mirror. When I get clothes I could get a size 14, 16 or 18 (UK) depending on where I buy it. More than likely I would have 16-18 on the bottom, I have wide hips, thick legs, and a big arse to be honest :L Depending on the top, I would take 14 or 16, I have a big bust and wide back. So, In society that would make me “Plus Size”, and does that mean I’m unhealthy? No!
I got blood test results back today (I get blood test occasionally and my heart checked due to tablets with have nothing to do with my physical health, but doesn’t matter now) They check to make sure I am physically healthy because the tablets have quite a few side effects. The results were normal, no risk of diabetes, no liver problems, no thyroid problems etc…
So why does most people seem to think that a little extra fat on your body makes you unhealthy.  Is it because of BMI? I think it is that and also the pressure of society. That over time pounds into your head that you are not beautiful if you are not really thin. 
People need to understand that being body positive isn’t one sided. And not all people are “overweight” who are body positive. Being body positive is embracing who you are whether your size, that people should be treated equally, and love the  body they are in. To accept people for who they are, and not to judge on how they look because their body , who has to much fat or who are thin. The main focus here is to be HEALTHY and HAPPY, and not let pressures of society get to you. There is more to life than your weight, if you are happy and healthy don’t worry about your weight. If you are comfortable and confident within yourself then why should others opinions matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment